I’m not really starting over. Not really. Okay, maybe I’m just trying to convince myself because I kind of made a scary move.
I declared a niche.
Okay, some of you, especially you authors, are thinking So what? I declared one when I first started writing! But, dear reader, this is a big deal for me.
I don’t fit neatly in any one box. Or two, or three. I don’t even have a box! And therein lay the problem. I needed to find a box.
[Schrodinger’s Cat, anyone?]
I looked at what I’d been writing for the past few months, which, admittedly, wasn’t a large sample size, but it helped to narrow down what’s been on my mind lately, and that’s been all things spooky and downright weird.
So, I guess I have my niche.
[Another GIF coming here too!]
In a few days, you’ll start to notice some new changes to the blog that will reflect this radical, life-changing decision to niche-up. Some of these will include:
- New categories. The old ones are…well, old and just have to go. They categorize nothing.
- New pages. These will be interactive! (See below.)
- Terrify Me – Write in your worst fear, your best friend’s worst fear, something so grotesquely horrible that you want to see immortalized in a piece of fiction, and it will be so. I’ll pick one per month and write a short story to share with the blog. You’ll also get kudos and acknowledgements.
- Murder Your Darlings – You can’t actually murder someone, but you can fantasize about it. [Don’t lie, you know you do it all the time.] Tell me someone you want to murder, or how you’d want to murder someone. I’ll pick one per month and write a short story to share with the blog. You’ll also get kudos and acknowledgements.
- Local Lore – I’ve been getting into reading about the seedy underbellies of cities, and I want to fictionalize them. Send me your city, and I’ll air its dirty laundry in the form of a short story. I’ll pick one per month and write a short story to share with the blog. You’ll also get kudos and acknowledgements.
- Tribe – This is a page acknowledging my patrons on Patreon. All the shout-outs and kudos!
- Hire Me – I’m a copy writer as well, and writing articles about helping other writers write better helps me keep the electricity on. Instead of navigating to my freelance website, you can talk to me here. While you wait for a reply, you can check out some spooktacular stories or writing tips I share with my readers! [That’s a win-win situation in my book.]